Saturday, April 19, 2008

Q&A with Lance Goulbourne

As his senior spring winds down, Lance Goulbourne kindly emailed us his thoughts on his game, why he chose Vanderbilt, and what he'd tell undecided senior Brad Tinsley. Lance projects as a prototypical small forward with range on his jump shot and an ability to finish down low.

Sports VU: How would you describe your game to someone who has never seen you play?
Lance Goulbourne: I play primarily on the wing. My game is multi-dimensional where I can take advantage of what the defender gives me. If you give me some room then I'll shoot it or if you crowd me then I'll go right by you. I play well in transition because of my athletic ability and like to get up and down the court.

SV: What position do you see yourself playing at Vanderbilt?
LG: I see myself playing the 3 and maybe some 2 later on down the line.

SV: What other schools did you look at? And, what drew you to Vanderbilt?
LG: At the end of my recruitment, the other schools I had interest in were Virginia, Marquette, Notre Dame, and Rutgers. I chose Vanderbilt because I felt comfortable with everything about it. The coaches, players, and overall life in Nashville and on campus made me feel at home.

SV: What were your thoughts when Vandy lost to Siena?
LG: I was a bit confused because I couldn't see them losing, but I definitely couldn't see them losing by twenty. I felt for the seniors because that was a rough way to go out! I think nine times out of them, they would beat Siena and that was just the one time they would lose.

SV: We hear you're quite good at tennis, any chance you'll be a two sport athlete at Vanderbilt? (As a fellow tall tennis player, I can't imagine how hard your serve is...)
LG: I thought about it, but it would be pretty hard for me to play both because both seasons conflict with each other. My focus will be on basketball, but thats not to say I won't get out on the tennis court with some of the players. (And yes, my serve is pretty strong)

SV: Do you know what your major is going to be yet?
LG: I'm not exactly sure, but I think I want to get involved in business. I don't want to rush into anything so early. I have some time to decide.


SV: What sorts of things do you feel you need to work on to take your game to the next level?
LG: My biggest weakness is my ball handling which has gotten better, but there is always room for improvement. Although I am a pretty good shooter now, I want to become better so I will be depended on to make big shots! Also, I need to get stronger because SEC play is physical and adding a couple pounds of muscle would take my game to another level.


SV: Have you interacted with the team at all this year, if so what are your first reactions?
LG: Yes, I have talked to a couple of the players periodically and I always talk to the coaches. I am ready for next year to get to know the guys better on the court and off the court. I'm looking forward to a great couple of years and I feel that these are the right group of guys to help me enjoy my time.

SV: It's possible that Brad Tinsley (point guard from Oregon) might be joining your class. What advice would you give him in making his decision?
LG: Well he previously made a decision to attend Pepperdine, but took it back so I think he knows what he wants in a school. This time around I would just say go where you are most comfortable and where you can play. I think there is a good oppurtunity for a player like him to come in to Vanderbilt and contribute right away.

SV: Anything else you think Dores fans should know about you?
LG: Nothing really except I plan on winning a couple championships while I'm a commodore.

SI's Kevin Armstrong further explores Lance's tennis prowess here.

5 comments:

Chip Robie said...

I just thought I'd add that "LG" has a nice to ring to it..

David Shochat said...

All i have to say is that i am expecting big things from this guy before his career at Vandy is done. Sounds like he has a lot of confidence in his game and is really competitive. Gotta love it. I like that he already wants to take the big shot. I felt like some of our freshmen last year were afraid to shoot sometimes.

Great idea chip BTW.

Jarred Amato said...

great work, Chip. It's seem like Lance is a genuine dude who has a bright future ahead of himself. Can't wait to see him in the black & gold.

Tony Arnold said...

I am excited about Lance joining the Dores, but was a little concerned by his statement, "looking forward to a great couple of years." Sure hope he plans to stay for 4. :-)

Skinny said...

Great Q&A. I can't wait for next year now that we have Jeff Taylor and possibly Brad Tinsley. I have a feeling it's going to be a new kind of basketball at Memorial Gym. Some of these guys can jump out of the gym.