Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Commodore Banter (7/29)

Former Vanderbilt pitcher David Price was dazzling over eight innings Monday night, allowing just hits and striking out seven in Double-A Montgomery's 9-2 victory. While both hits were home runs, Price (5-0) retired 24 of 26 batters.

After witnessing another dominating performance, Brad Shephard of The Huntsville Times asked the question: Should Price expect the call-up soon?

"I just take it one game at a time down here and expect a call every morning saying I'm going to Tampa," Price said. "Until I get that call-up, I'm working hard, anxious. I want it more than anything.

"Every day, it crosses my mind. Every time I see professional baseball on TV, I say I can play with those guys and compete against those guys."

Meanwhile, make sure to check out this hilarious column called Why We Love David Price by The Love of Sports. Among the many highlights:
Next time you’re in a discussion with your friends about who’s going to emerge from the American League, toss this one out there:

“I really like Tampa’s chances. I mean, they’ve been in the thick of it all season long, and David Price will be a huge difference maker down the stretch.”

Your friends will think you’re a little left of center. Don’t worry about it, though. Sit back, watch Tampa Bay call him up and you’ll be proven to be a genius. You can thank me later.

Meanwhile, there's a great story about Price's former teammate, Casey Weathers, who went from an being an outfielder to an Olympic pitcher seemingly overnight.

SI.com included Memorial Gym on its list of the the nation's best sports venues. Make sure to check out former Commodore Bill Trocchi's great description of Memorial.

In football news, looks like there is going to be some competition at kicker, where incoming freshman Ryan Fowler will challenge incumbent Bryant Hahnfeldt for the starting job.
"I see I have a senior in front of me. Bryant's the kicker, and he's a great kicker," Fowler said. "I'm just coming in to add a little fire, a little competition, and maybe that'll spice it up a little on special teams. I just want to provide the competition that's needed for Vanderbilt to rise to that next level."

As an undrafted free agent, former Commodore Curtis Gatewood is playing with a chip on his shoulder during camp with the Redskins.

Vanderbilt's season opener at Miami of Ohio (6:30 p.m. CT) is going to be the first ESPNU event to be broadcast in HD.

No comments: