Friday, July 18, 2008

Commodore Banter (7/18)

I'm off to New York City in a minute to catch up with some friends and take in the Yankees game Saturday afternoon, but here's a few links to click through over the weekend.

David Price is creating a buzz at Double-A Montgomery and there's word that he may be called up the big leagues this season, even if he gave up the first three homers of his career last night.

"I'm human. I'm not superhuman," Price said. "I'm just like everybody else on the field. I'm sure I'm going to give up a lot more home runs in my career. If I don't, it probably means I don't have a long career."

Definitely check out Brett Hait's story about Vanderbilt's talented secondary, which includes cornerbacks D.J. Moore and Myron Lewis, safeties Reshard Langford and Ryan Hamilton and nickelback Darlron Spead.

“I think they can play anywhere and be stars anywhere,” Johnson said of Moore and Lewis.

Spead also had high compliments for his teammates.

“In the SEC and in the country, he’s the best, I believe,” Spead said of Moore. “This guy has raw athletic ability. He’s just one of those athletes who doesn’t come around very often. He knows what’s expected of him this year, and you can tell in the weight room and when we’re running.”

“When you get a lot of interceptions, you get all the glory, but you look at Myron’s stats and he had a lot of tackles and a lot of pass breakups,” Spead said. “Myron is a complete corner just like D.J. is, but D.J. gets a little more hype.”

Meanwhile, it was not a good day for our good friend Brandt Snedeker, who shot a 9-over 79 in the second round of the British Open. Looks like he'll miss the cut.

In NBA news, Shan Foster scored 11 points in his final Las Vegas Summer League game.

Offensive tackle Chris Williams said "holdout" wasn't in his vocabulary, and it looks like he's close to an agreement with the Bears.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

No comments: