Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Let's just say Buzz Bissinger is a little upset about sports blogs

So the obscene amount of work required for my final in 20th century American novel tomorrow morning seems a little more pressing now, but I would be remiss if I did not at least bring up what happened last night Costas Now.



In what was supposed to be a town hall discussion between sports blogger Will Leitch (of Deadspin.com), author and journalist Buzz Bissinger (of Friday Night Lights and Three Nights in August), and Braylon Edwards (who likely still can't figure out why he was there...), things quickly got out of hand. I don't know if any of you have read this surprisingly poignant description of why we like sports, but let's just say Bissinger was "into it".

I won't try and do too much here, because I think Awful Announcing, Deadspin, or my personal favorite, Fire Joe Morgan, can do a much better job of putting this whole thing into perspective than I can. However, as a 21 year old who simply loves reading about sports, why this all has to be such a big deal. More than anything, what I took away from watching that video clip was that Buzz Bissinger looks like a man that is scared he's becoming irrelevant, and reacting against it in a pretty immature way. I don't completely blame him for the way he feels, but I think it's pretty sad that a guy who has shown such an uncanny ability for "getting it" when it comes to power of sports is so painfully unable to do the same when it comes to sports blogs.

2 comments:

Aram Hanessian said...

Yea, its a little confusing as to why they didn't choose Curtis Granderson or agent zero or one of the other hundred or so athletes who actually blog.

Anonymous said...

agent zero isn't busy sitting out of the playoffs with a bone bruise