Saturday, April 26, 2008

Commodore Banter (4/26)

Pedro Alvarez's RBI double in the bottom of the eighth propelled the Commodores a 3-2 victory over Kentucky Friday night at Hawkins Field, writes Maurice Patton.

Freshmen relievers Chase Reid and Russell Brewer are fearless, writes Jarred Amato.

Basketball recruit Lance Goulbourne is a pretty good tennis player, but decided he wanted to more like Lebron James than James Blake, writes SI's Kevin Armstrong.

In less than an hour, the NFL Draft will get underway, which means no more projections and mock drafts and Mel Kiper Jr. (OK, maybe he'll still be on TV, but at least he wil be talking about players after they have been drafted).

Curtis Gatewood is uniquely calm, writes Ron Higgins.

"I've refrained from watching the NFL Network and ESPN and kept my focus on politics and other things," Gatewood said. "The stuff on TV will drive you crazy. I remember one time I glanced at ESPN, and they started talking about first-round picks and different team needs. I got a little woozy. I thought, 'If I feel like this now, there's no telling how I'll feel on actual draft day.'"

Another former Commodore Marcus Buggs feels he deserves to be drafted, and we couldn't agree more. The guys at The Sports VU wish Curtis and Marcus, along with Chris Williams, Jonathan Goff and Earl Bennett the best of luck this weekend. They have all made Vanderbilt extremely proud.

No comments: